Friday 29 November 2013

Making a "3D Thing"

For our contextual studies class we were tasked with making a 3D item of our choosing to help better understand our choice of designers for our essay.

My designers were Christopher Kane and Jean Paul Gaultier.

I chose various garments from my designers collections from different season. I wanted to make something fashion based but not a garment. I decided to make some jewelry. 








I was very pleased with the outcome. I made it from fimo clay which you bake until it goes hard and all the jewelry parts are made from old bit of jewelry I had lying around. 

Here is what I wrote about the piece for my essay. 


In an attempt to understand my two fashion designers I made a 3d thing.  I decided that I wanted to make something fashion based but explore it through something else other than a garment. I decided in the end  to make a piece of fashion jewellry.  
The rectangles of the upper part represent the silhouettes that is seen on Kanes dresses. They are either fitted to the body or a bodycon silhouette. The see through plastic rectangles also serve to show Kanes love of see through and sheer fabric.  The triangles then placed upside down and right side up on the bottom piece serve as  Gaultier's way he is playful with silhouette. The bright colours embody Kanes use of bright and neons. Where the triangles are still colourful but dulled like Gaultier's garments. Although he uses colour they are muted when compared to Kanes.
The necklace is printed all over which is exploring both designers love of prints. As at this time I had not researched what radical fashion meant I took the meaning from the dictionary “characterized by departure from tradition; innovative or progressive”  So I used the backs of badges and used them in a non traditional way and used them as decoration. This also represents layers that Gaultier's uses when presenting his garments on the runway.

No comments:

Post a Comment